Barcelona Chief Executive Josep Maria Bartomeu provided an update on Lautaro Martinez and Barcelona’s transfer plans this summer for a possible deal.
Bartomeu said the LaLiga holders have held talks with Inter Milan over Lautaro Martinez but a deal for the star forward is on hold.
Lautaro Martinez – who arrived in Milan from Racing Club in 2018 – has been tipped to swap Serie A side Inter for Barcelona at the end of the 2019/20 season.
The Argentine star had scored 16 goals before the campaign was halted in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic but he has only netted once in seven matches since the restart amid the speculation.
Bartomeu provided an update on Martinez and Barcelona’s transfer plans, with the club set to be dethroned by fierce rivals Real Madrid in LaLiga this season.
‘We know the implications of the pandemic, the coming transfer will be difficult for the big clubs. But Barcelona do have plans for a transfer deal,’ Bartomeu told Footy Area espana.
‘We flew to Milan last week to talk of a possible deal for Lautaro Martinez, and we are currently assessing the situation and it’s implications.
‘Everything right now is on hold, and we just have to wait to see how the season ends to reassess the move.’
Barca are currently second in LaLiga after 36 games, one behind Real Madrid – who can restore a four point advantage with a win over Getafe on Monday.
Barcelona are back in action again in LaLiga for their decisive league clash against Osasuna on Thursday.
This football news update is brought to you by the Footy Area team. Do not forget to leave a comment in the comment box below. Also, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and join other fans from around the world on our Telegram channel.