Moving to a new country can be an exciting yet daunting experience. The United Kingdom is a popular destination for immigrants from all over the world, and it is essential to know what to do after you arrive in the UK to make your transition as smooth as possible.
This article will provide you with a comprehensive guide on the ten important things to do when you arrive in the UK as an immigrant.
Also, Read: How to Apply for the Fully Funded Chevening Scholarship in UK
Things to do After Arriving in the UK
- Set up a bank account: One of the first things you should do after arriving in the UK is to open a bank account. This will make it easier for you to manage your finances, pay bills, and receive payments from your employer.
- Get a National Insurance number: A National Insurance (NI) number is a unique identifier used by the UK government to track your tax and National Insurance contributions. You will need to apply for an NI number as soon as possible to start working or receiving benefits.
- Register with a GP: It is essential to register with a General Practitioner (GP) as soon as possible after arriving in the UK. GPs provide primary healthcare services, and you will need to see them for any medical issues you may have.
- Find accommodation: Finding a place to live is a top priority after arriving in the UK. You can rent a property or stay in a hostel or hotel temporarily while you search for permanent accommodation.
Also, Read: Top 10 Courses that Can Guarantee a Work Visa in the UK and British Residency in 5 years
UK Arrival Checklist
- Passport and visa
- Travel documents and tickets
- Money and banking documents
- Health and medical documents
- Accommodation details
- Contact details of friends and family in the UK
- Important phone numbers (emergency services, bank, embassy)
Also, Read: UK vs USA: Which Country is Best for Study and Permanent Residency
New Rules for International Students in the UK
International students in the UK must follow the new rules introduced by the UK government. The rules include a new points-based immigration system and changes to student visas. International students must have a confirmed offer of a place at a UK educational institution, speak English to a certain level, and meet financial requirements.
Also, Read: Cheapest Universities in Canada and UK that Do Not Require IELTS to Study or Apply for Visa
Is There a Time Limit to Enter the UK After Getting Skilled Worker Visa?
There is no time limit for skilled workers to enter the UK after receiving a visa. However, you must enter the UK within three months of the visa’s validity start date.
UK Airport Immigration Questions for Students PDF Download
UK airports have immigration officers who will ask you questions about your visit to the UK. It is essential to answer these questions truthfully and provide the necessary documentation. The UK government provides a PDF download of the most frequently asked immigration questions for students.
Also, Read: UK Universities You Should Avoid in 2023 as an International Student
UK Arrival Registration
You are required to register your arrival in the UK if you are staying for more than six months. You can do this online or in person at a local police station.
International Student Life in the UK
The UK is a popular destination for international students because of its world-renowned educational institutions and rich culture. As an international student, you will have access to a range of support services, including language classes, career advice, and cultural events.
Also, Read: UK Universities Providing Tier 2 Sponsorship Visa to International Students and Workers
UK Student Immigration Documents
As an international student in the UK, you will need the following immigration documents:
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
- Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
Also, Read: UK Universities that Accept April to June Intake for 2023 – Documents Needed and How to Apply
Moving to a new country can be an overwhelming experience, but knowing what to do after arriving can make the transition smoother.
The ten important things to do when you arrive in the UK as an immigrant are setting up a bank account, getting a National Insurance number, registering with a GP, finding accommodation, carrying important documents, following new rules for international students, and knowing the UK airport immigration questions for students.
Also, Read: USA Universities With High Acceptance Rates for International Students and Their Requirements