Best Medical Schools In Texas
Since the prehistoric era till now, the role of a physician cannot be overemphasized. If the world is devoid of these people, perhaps, you might not be reading this article.
In this century where the earth keeps welcoming more diseases, the services of a medical personnel is needed more than ever.
Because of this, there is need for persons to be trained in the medical line. And so in this article, I’ll be giving a list of the best medical schools in Texas where qualified doctors are being raised.
So if you wish to take a medical course in Texas, this article is mainly for you.
So Which Are The Best Medical Schools In Texas?
Without much ado, below are the list of the best medical schools in Texas:
I welcome the biggest and one of the best in the whole of Texas. UT Southwestern, a public institution, sits in Dallas. It was established in 1943 and its current Dean is Wei-Ping Lee, M.D. (Doctor of Medicine).
Students are allowed to venture into having a combine degree. This gives room for special graduation distinction.
Here are the available combined degree:
- M.D./Ph.D. – also known as the Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP).
– M.D./M.B.A. – This program provides the knowledge for medical personnel. It helps them in integrating medicine and business. This program spans five years.
– M.D./M.P.H. – Organised by UT Southwestern and UT Health – School of Public Health. This M.D. program spans four years.
- M.D./M.S. in Clinical Science – In this program, training is often done theoretically along with some clinical research.
In this esteemed university lies a top ranking medical school; Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine.
It was founded in 1977. Amy L. Waer, MD, FACS serves as its temporary Dean. The School has several research centers and institutes, amongst them are:
- Cardiovascular Research Institute.
- Institute for Regenerative Medicine.
- The Texas Brain and Spine Institute.
At the college, students can earn a;
Students can also pursue other dual degree programs.
Baylor College of Medicine is a private university, founded in 1900 is located in Houston. As of 2020, it’s Dean remains Jennifer Christner, MD.
The college sits amidst the Texas Medical Centre which happens to be the largest medical centre in the world!
This College of Medicine is the only institution in the whole of United States to organize a Medical Scientist Training Program.
The Baylor College of Medicine constitutes of four units;
- The Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
- The School of Medicine.
- The School of Health Professions.
- The National School of Tropical Medicine.
The college has the following programs each student can opt in for:
- M.D. Program.
- Ph.D. Programs.
- Doctor of Nurse Practice (Anesthesia)
- Genetic Counseling Program.
- P.A. Program.
- Orthotics & Prosthetics Program.
- Baccalaureate/M.D. Programs.
- Dual Degree Programs which supplements the normal MD. They are;
- MD/PhD with the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
- MD/ MPH with the UTHealth School of Public Health
- MD/ MBA with the Rice University Jesse H. Jones School of Business
- MD/ JD with the University of Houston Law Center
This public health science centre is located in Galveston, Texas. It was established in 1891. The university’s current President is Ben G. Raimer, MD.
The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) is an academic health science center. Its parent institution is the University of Texas System.
UTMB has greatly improved in its services, having numerous schools for its alumni, they include:
UTMB includes four schools:
- School of Medicine – It began functioning in 1891. Now, it has twenty departments and three institutions.
- Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences – it first became functional in 1952. Later in 1969, another graduate school was established. Biomedical graduate programs were started in 1952, and a separate graduate school was established in 1969.
– School of Nursing – This school of nursing offers a BSN, PhD (Nursing Education), DNP (Doctorate of Nursing Practice) and MSN (Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Educator).
- Institute for Human Infections and Immunity.
- Institute for the Medical Humanities.
- An affiliated Shriners Burns Hospital.
- Sealy Center for Molecular Medicine.
Just like the aforementioned, The UT Health in Houston is also a public health science centre. Its president still remains Giuseppe N. Colasurdo, M.D.
The school had its establishment in 1972 through the University of Texas System Board. It is located at the Texas Medical Centre. The academic health centre is made up of six different schools, they are:
– McGovern Medical School: it offers a MD and MS in Clinical Research.
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center UTHealth Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
- UTHealth School of Dentistry: It offers a DDS, MSD, BS in Dental Hygiene, MS in Dental Hygiene, Certificate in Advanced Education Program and Certificate in Dental Hygiene.
- Cizik School of Nursing: it offers a BSN, MSN, DNP and ph. D.
- School of Biomedical Informatics.
- UTHealth School of Public Healt.
Read More: Best Community Colleges In Indiana
This University is part of the University of Texas System as well. It is the largest health science university in the South of Texas.
The School was established in 1959. William L. Henrich, MD. Is the University’s latest President.
The University comprises of four schools:
- Dental School: It includes, Dental Diagnostic Science, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Pediatric Dentistry, Periodontics.
- Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences: It includes, Biochemistry, Cellular and Structural Biology, Clinical Investigation, Clinical Lab Sciences.
- Medical School: It includes, Anesthesiology, Emergency Medicine, Family and Community Medicine. Ophthalmology , Orthopaedics, Rehabilitation Medicine , Surgery , Urology.
- School of Health Professions: it includes, Clinical Laboratory Sciences, Dental Hygiene, Dental Laboratory Sciences, Dietetics.
- School of Nursing: It includes, Acute Nursing Care, Chronic Nursing Care, Family Nursing Care.
In 2011, this UT Health, San Antonio was the 51 best school in clinical ranking.